Friday, December 14, 2007

The Garden Implement

Hah hah, fooled you, I am too writing. This week I've been guest blogging for the Rake Magazine. So far I've only produced two entries, The Leo Chronicles, Part I and The Leo Chronicles, Part II, but I plan on at least two more posts before the week is over. Hell, with my busy schedule of coming up with excuses why I haven't gotten things done it's a wonder I was able to find the time to post those two.

The "garden implement" in the title refers to the Rake, of course. I shamelessy thought maybe I could snag a garden(-variety) blog googler by using it. Heh heh.

In other news, Sunday the 16th is Jane Austen's birthday. I love Jane Austen, or to be more precise, I love Jane Austen's novels. Mansfield Park is my favorite, probably because Vladimir Nabokov included an essay on it in his Lectures on Literature that I read along with the novel itself the first time. Good Lord, I sound quasi-literate. Don't let that fool you though, I ain't. But I do like Jane Austen. I'd totally do her.


Anyway, you'll see more here once I meet my guest blogging commitment for the Garden Implement. And apropos of that, the voluptuous yet matronly editor of the Rake Online confided to me that she wants to create a column entitled "The Hoe." You can contact her yourself and tell her what a good idea that is no matter who writes it. Some nascent ideas just intrinsically cry out to be born and that's one of them, just for the title alone.

And finally, speaking of 'nascent,' I looked up the word just now to make sure it meant precisely what I wanted it to mean and found it defined as "emerging." So an idea that's still in the womb waiting to be born may or may not be "nascent," depending on if you believe that ideas exist per se prior to their actual birth. I'm pro-nascent, myself, but I respect other people's opinions, especially if they have big tits.

I'm also prognathic. My gnathic index is 104. If I was a nice guy, I'd include a link on that, but we all know I'm not a nice guy. Just ask the garden blog googlers.

Whew. This writing stuff is hard work.

- Hulles

30 comments:

SuperBee said...

I is glad you is back.

Hulles said...

Thanks, Bee. I is glad to bee back.

Lollie said...

I is too, and I's can't wait for installment three.

Hulles said...

Lollie, you am the best. XOXOXO.

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, I was aware of the word prognathic (and its vicious little brother, the gnathic index)because of a 1959 Isaac Asimov short story entitled "The Ugly Little Boy." Weird how words can stick with you over the course of decades.

Hulles said...

Virginia, honey, is that really you? It's been so long! Honest, your mom's child support check is in the mail. [Great, another lost child discovered....]

Anonymous said...

Only if you were in Bermuda the day Willys-Overland produced the 1,000,000th Jeep. (But send the check anyway)

Jenifer said...

I really enjoyed your posts for The Rake. Wish installment three would have made it in.

This week Rich is writing!

Eva Gale said...

-totally off blog subject. I need some help. *g*

Daughter and I are going through the second declension genitive singular and nominative case for plural subjects, both case endings in i. Am I right in that you can only tell by noun and sentence construction? ie: Gladii superant. The sword doesn't take the conquering so it's not possessive?

*good god, I'm muddling the hell out of it. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Eva Gate: I understand it to be as your said, but who can resist these sites?

Click here: KET | DL | Latin Lit | Grammatica | Cases

Eva Gale said...

Virginia, I can't click on the links? (do you mean there are SITES out there on this? *passes out from joy*)

Hulles said...

Eva, you're right, you do tell from sentence construction. If the verb is (e.g) third person plural, then look for a plural noun. That's always a good start.

Anonymous said...

Eva,

Sorry about the link. Try typing in this address:
www.dl.ket.org/latinlit/grammar/cases/nominative.htm

Eva Gale said...

Thank you both! *smooches*

Eva Gale said...

Virginia, that site is fantastic and now bookmarked. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

:)

Claire said...

Hello! Good to read you again!

Cxx

Casti said...

Hulllesss, feliz 2008!


Bjoo do Brasil,


Casti

Lauren said...

Hulles, it's me!

So I moved my blog to the b-spot a few days ago and I was just compiling my (sadly very thin) list of favorite blogs, so I thought of you. So hollaback a la Gwen Stefani.

XOX

Anonymous said...

Hulles,

And a Happy New Year!

Virginia

Anonymous said...

PS. I'm trying to get an internship at the Rake so you should put in as many good words as humanly possible. XOX

Lauren said...

Oh, so that anonymous was me. My bad.
XOX,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Wow, if nothing else, you're prolific.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amusing, but you never mention what you do in life. You do complain a lot about being poor. Are you retired and on a fixed income?

Heather Harper said...

How are you?

Mosilager said...

Hey it's been a year... hope you're doing well, H.

Hulles said...

Mosi, you're right, it's been a year. I'm okay I guess. Guess it's time to start writing again.... Hope you're doing well too.

Anonymous said...

Hulles, Um bom 2009!!!!

bjooo do Brasilll!

Casti

ConnieL said...

Where the hell did you go? I stumble onto your blog, stumble around in increasing amusement, get excited because I think maybe I've found a local blog I actually want to be faithful to. And then discover it's almost two years since you've written! Damn.

Hulles said...

Thanks, ConnieL, what a lovely compliment. Actually, I've promised myself to start posting here again this weekend. I have a bunch of stuff stored up in my head, none of it safe. So wish me luck. And thanks again.