Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Em's In Africa

This short entry is on a different topic than has been the case recently.

My lovely friend Emily is doing an internship in Kenya and has been emailing her friends (and me) with periodic updates on her experiences there. They make very interesting reading, so I volunteered to create a blog for her and transcribe her emails into blog entries and post them.

The blog is Em's in Africa, and if you have an interest in other cultures (assuming you aren't Kenyan) you should check it out. I'm bugging Emily for a bio and some pictures and she promises she'll get me what she can when she is able.

My favorite post so far is "Not For The Weak-Hearted." It's an absorbing and touching anecdote about visiting some mothers in a slum in Nairobi.

The reason I'm doing the blog for Emily is that she has limited access to the Internet where she is, if you're curious.

I find the transcription process to be therapeutic but I'm still not ready to write new posts for myself yet. I'm in Iowa for the duration, which unfortunately does not appear to be very long now.

I miss you all, and kwa heri, as Em would say.

- Hulles

P.S. If you do visit Emily's blog, it would be nice if you would comment. Em is new to blogging and hasn't yet discovered the thrill of having complete strangers (to her) read her writing. And you are the best complete strangers ever.

10 comments:

Eva Gale said...

Hello Hulles! I'm so glad you've posted, I've been wondering about how you and your brother were. It's strange being so sorry for you, but yet so happy that you are there with him. I hope if I ever need him, my brother will be like you.

I'll stop by Em's digs.

Hulles said...

Thanks Eva! I miss you. XOXOXO.

cK said...

Keep us posted as you find time, Hulles. Big hugs to you, brother.
-cK

Jenifer said...

I miss you!

Hulles said...

ck, hugs back. I'll keep you posted as best I can. Ironically, as my brother sleeps more, I have a little more time to be online.

Jen, I miss you lots. XOXOXO.

Anonymous said...

Em's was a lovely read. Thank you for posting it on your blog. All the best from Long Island to you and your brother.

Lollie said...

Hi Hulles, I woke up at 5:15 thinking of you and your brother. It took me a while to get back to sleep. Know that my thoughts will be with you both all day.

Emily is lovely, yes.

Hulles said...

Thanks, Virginia and thanks, Lollie. XOXO.

Kristen Painter said...

Very cool. I'm off to check it out.

Claire said...

Over I shall head. Miss you, sir!

Cxx